ADSM-L

Problems with open registration

1994-08-29 21:07:03
Subject: Problems with open registration
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 1994 21:07:03 EDT
I am still attempting (perhaps benightedly) to use open registration.
Ideally, what I need to make it work well would be:

1.  The ability to specify the text that now says "Contact Information".
    (I'd like to change it to "E-mail Address".)

2.  A user exit to verify the registration information.  In particular,
    I want to be able to resolve the IP address to make sure that the
    "nodename" matches the one assigned for that IP address and to
    validate that the contact information has been entered and is a
    legal e-mail address.

Right now, I would be very happy just to be able to do something to
cause the registration to be rejected until the user puts something
in "Contact Information".

I have now watched about 50 people install ADSM clients, on Windows,
Mac, and Netware, and every single one of them has pressed Enter,
rather than Tab, to go to the next field in the open registration
window.  Needing to tab really isn't intuitive, and what's worse, it
gives these users an unfriendly first impression.  They enter their
password once, press Enter, and get a nasty message and are thrown
out of ADSM, so they have to start over again.  Definitely not good
human factors.  The window shouldn't be closed and processed until
all three fields have been entered.

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University