ADSM-L

Problems with Backup under AIX

1994-07-21 08:17:26
Subject: Problems with Backup under AIX
From: adsm-administrator at Kernforschungszentrum Karlsruhe <adsm AT HDI.KFK DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 14:17:26 +0200
We have some problems regarding backup. We are running the server under MVS
and different clients under OS/2 SunOS and AIX.

1.Problem under AIX:
We tried to incremental backup a filesystem, initiated by a client scheduler.
The process stopped because of an File input/output error. There seems
to be an error in the directory structure of the filesystem. The command to
backup the same filesystem was retried 3 times, when it finally failed
with Return code =1. The next schedule event ( also an incremental backup
of an other filesystem), which should be scheduled during the same window,
failed
because the window in the meantime has elapsed. How we can avoid this behavior?
For me this behavior doesn't seems adequate for an automatic scheduled backup.

2.Problem under AIX:
We tried to incremental backup a lot of filesystems and defined:
define schedule objects="/home/hdi /home/itp /home/mat " ....
The first time the backup was o.k., it backuped all the specified
filesystems. The second time and following on it continued only
to backup the first filesystem /home/hdi and not the other ones.
Is there any error in the syntax of the define schedule stmt?

3.Question:
In the 'User's Guide and Reference for UNIX' you can find
under page 194 the example: exclude /unix . What does it mean?
Are there any systemfiles to exclude by /unix and which are these?

Thanks for your hints and tips.
Bruno Petruschka

|Bruno Petruschka        | Phone: +49-7247-82-5605                   |
|Kernforschungszentrum   | Fax:   +49-7247-82-4972                   |
|Karlsruhe GmbH          |                                           |
|Abteilung: HDI          | E-mail:                                   |
|Postfach 3640           | Internet:  petruschka AT hdi.kfk DOT de          |
|D 76021 Karlsruhe       | X.400:     petruschka AT ucla.hdi.kfk.d400 DOT de|
|Germany                 |                                           |