ADSM-L

Re: Mac ADSM and Mac Word Perfect?

1994-07-13 16:51:01
Subject: Re: Mac ADSM and Mac Word Perfect?
From: David E Boyes <dboyes AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 1994 15:51:01 -0500
> The symptom is WP crashing on initialization in some instances.  ADSM
> doesn't have to be doing anything with the server, merely running (or
> having run earlier, perhaps).  Use of an AppleShare file server seems to be
> relevant as well, although we're not using ADSM to backup the file server.

Nick:

Could it possibly be related to the memory leak problem that
Brett posted here a few days ago with MacTCP and other stuff? Is
it a true AppleTalk connection, or is it Ethertalk?

> Right now, the evidence is all circumstantial, but there's a disturbingly
> strong correlation between ADSM and WP not initializing.  I'm trying to get
> a feel whether others are in a position to confirm or refute fears that
> there's a bad interaction between ADSM and WP for the Mac.

WP for the Mac is an serious memory hog, so if you are tripping
the memory leak bug, WP would show the effects most graphically,
esp. if it's having to run with a fragmented memory heap and do
tons of garbage collection.