ADSM-L

Re: Total restore of a Netware system

1994-06-30 07:30:11
Subject: Re: Total restore of a Netware system
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY S." <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 1994 11:30:11 GMT
Melinda - I've had some experience (problems) with this in the past.
 Because ADSM builds an image of the directory structure in short term
memory, my guess is you're running into short term memory constraints?
 Couple of thing you can try

1) Are you at ADSM (Netware client) level 1.2.01 (PTF IP20145) ?  There are
big improvements in this level of code dealing with restoring large
directory/file structures.  If you install this level, you'll have to take
another incremental of the system you're attempting to restore in order to
see these improvements (check out the README file included with the client
code).

2) Bump up the short term memory allocation as much as possible on the
server the restore is initiated from (Netware 3.11 is limited to 16MB,
Netware 3.12 is 32MB).

3)  Depending on the size of the file structure, you might not be able to do
a restore in one pass - you might have to split it up.  I know it's a bit
kludgy but haven't been able to find a way around this. Easiest way I've
found to do this is to issue the following command from the DSMC prompt -

QUERY BACKUP  <volname goes here>:* -dirsonly

This will list all the directories off of the root. Then it's just a matter
of restoring each directory individually. Don't forget to include the
 -volinfo parameter (and, of course, the -subdir parm) on the restore if you
want to restore the volume restrictions (trustee directory assignments for
the root directory of a volume, volume or disk space restrictions, etc.).

4)  If you're worried about the speed of the restore (and have a couple of
servers available), you could kick off different directory level restores
from different servers (provided they're granted access to the node's backup
files).  This'll speed up things quite a bit.

5) If you're restoring the bindery, I remember reading somewhere that this
should be done after the files/directories are restored (because it won't
restore information for files/directories that aren't already  there ????)

Hope this helps.

Regards...
Tim Pittson

 ----

uga.cc.uga.edu> From: Melinda Varian
@uga.cc.uga.edu> Subject:      Total restore of a Netware system

We are trying to restore a backup of a Netware system to another
system, i.e., we want to move the whole system.

So far, our attempts have ended in a trashed system.  Can anyone
tell me the correct sequence of commands to do a total restore
of a Netware system?