ADSM-L

Mac PowerPC native mode executable.

1994-06-27 19:52:05
Subject: Mac PowerPC native mode executable.
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265 Fax:" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 16:52:05 PDT
Re: Note from you attached below

>We've developed a nice collection of PowerPC's and our PC support group
>is wondering if there are plans to have a PowerPC native mode or a
>FAT binary for ADSM.  (They're a collection of dweebs but they've
>actually been helpful recently so I'm being nice and asking instead
>of giving them my normal blank stare and telling them to shutup it
>works just fine the way it is :)  Personally I can't see a reason to
>offer it, probably make the software compression faster but that's
>not a critical issue to me, most of our machines are scheduled for
>overnight backups, 8 minutes instead of 10 doesn't mean anything in
>the scheme of my backups.

We are looking at having a native PowerPC version, probably as a FAT
binary.  This is probably still several months out, though...

I think there would be some speed up.  My understanding is fully emulated
programs run at around Centris 610 speeds.  This will effect the compression
times, and maybe the times to access the file system and transfer the
data across the Ethernet.  Going native should increase the speed.
However, it will probably be most noticeable during an initial backup
or a large restore.  Besides, everyone hates it when a program runs
slower on their new machine ;-)

Brett Walker