ADSM-L

Re: centralized detailed schedule reporting

1994-06-22 15:05:35
Subject: Re: centralized detailed schedule reporting
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 15:05:35 EDT
On Wed, 22 Jun 1994 10:55:01 PDT Eric Winchenbach said:
>Has anyone implemented anything to provide for a centally located
>detailed reporting of schedule results?  I'm working with a customer
>who'd basically like to have all the dsmsched.log files available
>for query/searching on the server.  One workaround that I have heard
>discussed is to archive the dsmsched.log files from all the clients
>and then retrieve them to one client.  Has anyone implemented anything
>like this or anything else to provide this kind of function?
>
>-Eric Winchenbach

I am in the process of writing Rexx execs to basically check to see
which nodes have not gotten backed up successfully.  The execs will not
process the dsmsched.log files, however.  Instead, they will just use the
output from some of the ADSM administrator commands such as QUERY EVENT,
QUERY NODE, and QUERY FILESPACE.  The exec will use the CONTACT field for
the node to contain information such as who to contact if the node was
not backed up, how many days can elapse before notification occurs, etc.

If a node does not get backed up successfully, it will still be necessary
for someone to look at the dsmsched.log files to determine what the problem
was.

For our Unix clients, we have written a cron script which ages the log
files for N days, and then deletes the oldest copies.  We have similar
utilities for OS/2, but we don't have anything for Mac, Windows, or Novell.
Managing log files on the Mac isn't easy, since the Mac has no command line
interface.  I have considered targetting the logfiles to an AppleShare
volume, but right now I'm targetting mine to my TrashCan, so it doesn't
fill up my hard disk!

I'd be happy to share what I develop, after I've finished writing and
testing it.  I'm also working on some other utilities that others might
be interested in.  I've got a Rexx exec which I use to tell me whether
there are any tape problems (errors, not enough free space, etc).  I run
this every night via Cron.  I've got another exec which takes the
previous day's activity log, filters out the noise, and sends the
interesting stuff to me in a mailfile.

..Paul