ADSM-L

Re: 2 Kinds of Backup

1994-06-03 16:17:48
Subject: Re: 2 Kinds of Backup
From: Deba Patnaik <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 16:17:48 EDT
On Wed, 1 Jun 1994 12:06:24 PDT Paul L. Bradshaw said:
>ADSM has 2 key storage management items in place today:  backup and
>archive.  The backup component of ADSM is meant to provide a very effective
>method for performing incremental backups without the need to re-backup
>data already managed by the server.
>
>The archive component is meant to keep a point in time copy of an object
>(file) for a specified period of time.
>
>Thus to meet your needs (daily incremental plus a monthly full) you should
>use the backup component for the incrementals.  Then, once a month
>schedule a full archive of each client system.  Set the archive retention
>period to 400 days (this would keep about 13 months of backups in the
>system).  ADSM allows you to retrieve files that meet a certain pattern
>or that were archived between certain dates.  You could thus retrieve any
>file archived between 1/1/94 and 1/31/94.
>
>ADSM would automatically remove any archive copies over 400 days old from
>the system, thus recycling any tapes, etc., the data may be on.
>
>Paul Bradshaw

Paul,
     I have over 40 large sun servers using ADSM and depend on it for their
HDA crashes or otherwise.

     The following two options will help a lot:

       1. Restore if NEW - some of the SUN clients have monthly UNIX level
          dump and after they build the filesystem - they restore from their
          tape and then go to ADSM for making it current. We realized that
          ADSM does a full restore with REPLACEMENT, which we want to avoid.

       2. Restore after & before date option will also help. One time the
          SUN client's files and directories on on file system were deleted
          by an user application. SUN client took a back up causing the files
          and directories to be inactive. It was a lot of work selecting all
          the inactive files (over 5000 files). This can be put in the OPTIONS
          or UTILS menu - so that the clients get fewer number of files display
          ed.

I feel you should provide this at a minimum. If Archive is a solution for
monthly and yearly backups - subdir options has to be enabled and it also
has to respect the domain statement.

Deba Patnaik