ADSM-L

Tape Mount Retention Period on ADSM MVS Server

1994-05-27 12:31:51
Subject: Tape Mount Retention Period on ADSM MVS Server
From: Matthias Feyerabend <M.Feyerabend AT GSI DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 17:31:51 +0100
Hello,

has anybody experience with setting of Tape Mount Retention Period
on MVS Server ?

Until now we have set to 1 minute using tape on out Automatic Tape Library, but
think of setting it to zero, 0 minutes. Good Idea ??

Today doing restore of several files located on three different tapes happened
 the
following:

 - Mount and read Tape1 and Tape2 o.k.
 - After resp. 1 minute Message ANR5217I: dismounting volume, 1 minute expired,
 ok.
 - Now it took seven resp. five minutes until MVS Message IEF234E releases
 volume
   and tape unit.
 - Mount for Tape3 had to wait until one of these tape units was available,
 because
   of Tape mount Limit setting of maximal two tape units.
 - Restore for files from Tape3 had to wait 4 minutes until tape unit was
 available.

Question: What happens with retention period of 0 ?
          Any pitfalls I do not see ?

Herzliche Gr"u"se
Matthias Feyerabend            phone:    (49) 6151 359-519
GSI, Darmstadt                 internet: M.Feyerabend AT gsi DOT de