ADSM-L

Interfacing with VM:Tape

1994-05-24 10:04:11
Subject: Interfacing with VM:Tape
From: Katherine Faella <KMF AT URIACC.URI DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 10:04:11 EDT
I am in the process of setting up ADSM to interface with VM:Tape and
have a couple of questions.  I have defined a StoragePool to ADSM
for my tapes and added each volume to it with Define Volume.  On the
VMTAPE side I have added SERIES records to the config file and also
created a tape pool for ADSM's use within the POOLASGN and POOLNAME files.
My DSMEXIT1 machine has a mount and delete routine.  In testing,
MOUNTS work fine.  However, in VMTAPE Listing the volume(s) associated
with ADSM, the expiration date is set to 30 days since the first file
was written to the tape.  The tape label has an expiration date of
99365 (which is the date my DEVCLASS for the tape is set to).  Now I
realize that when the tape is mounted and the expiration date on
the label is read, the tape will not be reused until it is truely expired.
VMTAPE, however, will 'expire' it in 30 days and mark it as available for
a scratch request by ADSM in that pool.  My questions are
 - does ADSM ever generate scratch requests or does it always request
   a specific volume?
 - should I, how could I, get VMTAPE to put a more appropriate date in
   his catalog?
Our WLFS server (still in production till I get ADSM up, and installed
by someone else - meaning I know little about it) tapes have this same
inconsistency and because WLFS calls for tapes as scratch volumes
from a particular VMTAPE pool, has on occasion called for tapes that
VMTAPE thinks have expired, the mount is rejected and it takes quite a
few mounts to find the REAL next available tape.  The operators love it!!

So if anyone has worked this all out and can give me a few hints I would
appreciate it ever so much!  Thanks in advance.

Katherine Faella                 Bitnet:   KMF@URIACC
University of Rhode Island       Internet: KMF AT URIACC.URI DOT EDU
Academic Computer Center
048 Tyler Hall
Kingston, RI  02881              Phone:  (401) 792-2501