ADSM-L

Re: Blessing OS/2 boot file.

1994-05-20 14:28:27
Subject: Re: Blessing OS/2 boot file.
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 18:28:27 GMT
In <1994May19.184233.15678 AT draper DOT com>, SPGJAF AT cmsa.berkeley DOT edu
(Joseph A.
 Faracchio) writes:
>Barry:
>   Great!   Now,  IF I put together a 1 or 2 disk (2.88) OS/2 system that can
>run ADSM and have network access it means I can restore a bootable OS/2
>partition, be it extended-logical or even primary???
>
>If that's so then WHY does the .OPT file suggest NOT backing up OS2LDR
>and Kernel????   %#(
>thanks ...                 cheers .. joe.f.
>
>On Thu, 19 May 1994 08:57:04 MST Barry Fruchtman said:
>>Ref:  Your note of Wed, 18 May 1994 22:41:10 PDT
>>
>> You "bless" OS/2 by running sysinstx.
>>
>>Barry Fruchtman
>>ADSM Server Development

 The only thing I exclude is swapper.dat.  I have built an OS/2
standalone restore for tcpip on 4 diskettes and it works.  To start,
follow the procedures in chapters 4 and 6 of the redbook GG24-3780-01
(or higher) to make the boot disks for an OS/2 remote install using
NFS.  Then retailor this so that you don't actually go into the
install but instead get an A: prompt.  Make a 3rd disk containing
miscallaneous stuff for fixing up disks -

 The volume label in drive A is ADSM_SA3.
 The Volume Serial Number is 25ED:5415
 Directory of A:\

MOUNT    EXE    23415   6-22-93  11:04a
ROUTE    EXE    13487  12-10-92   8:33p
NFSCTL   EXE    92611   8-05-93  10:23a
CHKDSK   COM    68656   4-29-93   9:36p
CMD      EXE    90624   4-29-93   9:41p
NFSBIOD  EXE    41961   7-12-93  11:47a
TCPINST2 EXE   106207   8-12-93   4:12p
UNZIP    DLL    92080   8-02-93  10:44a
DISKNUM  2         13   4-12-93  10:51a
RPCDLL   DLL    46903  12-10-92   8:39p
TCPIPDLL DLL    40995  12-17-92   6:00a
ETC          <DIR>     11-05-93   1:31p
FDISK    COM   105399   4-29-93   9:20p
FORMAT   COM    66832   4-29-93   9:49p
LABEL    COM    33805   4-29-93   9:52p
OSO001   MSG   171340   3-30-92  12:00p
UHPFS    DLL   179872   4-29-93   9:01p
T2       EXE     9755   8-05-92   9:12a
THELP    HLP    14597   8-05-92   9:12a
        19 file(s)    1198552 bytes used
                       237056 bytes free

Make a 4th disk with DSMC.EXE on it and the other stuff it needs -

 The volume label in drive A is ADSM_SA4.
 The Volume Serial Number is 25E4:3415

 Directory of A:\

DSCAMENG TXT   150528   8-25-93  10:56a
DSM      OPT       74  11-05-93   3:12p
DSMC     EXE   411987   6-22-93   8:30a
DSMERROR LOG     1020  10-19-93  11:25a
DSMO     HLP    44663   6-22-93   8:30a
DSMSYS   HLP     8399   6-22-93   8:30a
T2       EXE     9755   8-05-92   9:12a
TCPIPDLL DLL    40995  12-17-92   6:00a
ETC          <DIR>     11-05-93   2:40p
THELP    HLP    14597   8-05-92   9:12a
        10 file(s)     682018 bytes used

 Directory of A:\ETC

            <DIR>     11-05-93   2:40p
.           <DIR>     11-05-93   2:40p
HOSTS              24   7-13-92   5:01p
PROTOCOL          871   3-14-91   1:54p
RESOLV             74  10-27-93   3:40p
RPC              1141   3-09-92   4:52p
SERVICES         5089   4-27-93   9:44a
         7 file(s)       7199 bytes used

Total files listed:
        17 file(s)     689217 bytes used
                       757248 bytes free

Note that some files are duplicated between disks 3 and 4.  You need
to have the some of the tcpip stuff on the disk when it is needed.

    I have used this many times with good success.  In particular, I
have dropped partitions, resized them, and restored.  The restored
OS/2 booted without any further action.  I was using the bootmanager
and booting a logical partition.

    The tcpip for os/2 2.0 install guide has a procedure similar to
the one in the redbook for making the first 2 diskettes.

    T2.exe is the Tiny editor available from EWS at
Software.watson.ibm.com.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com