ADSM-L

Re: Performance of Mac Clients

1994-04-19 15:53:50
Subject: Re: Performance of Mac Clients
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 19:53:50 GMT
In <1994Apr19.193507.549 AT draper DOT com>, MAINT%PUCC.BITNET AT uga.cc.uga
DOT edu (Melinda
 Varian) writes:
>We are seeing really dreadful performance on our Mac clients,
>e.g., 2.5 KB/sec on a high-end Mac with very good network
>connectivity (vs. 25-100 KB/sec FTPing from that Mac to the
>same host).  Watching the data transfers, what we seem to be
>seeing is periodic long pauses on the Mac.  It does not seem
>to be waiting for an Ack from the host during these pauses.
>The other two Macs we've tried (different operating system
>levels but all the absolutely most current client -- just
>arrived by express this morning) are just as bad.
>
>Is this what we should be expecting?
>
>Melinda Varian,
>Princeton University

You are most likely experiencing the 'slowincremental feature'.  See
entry #405 in this discussion list for an explanation.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550