ADSM-L

AdStar cpu utilization

1994-03-23 14:26:55
Subject: AdStar cpu utilization
From: Greg Piney <zzgcp AT MGH DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 14:26:55 EST
Subject: AdStar/DSM VM CPU utilization

I have just received a preliminary accounting report for AdStar/DSM.
Boy is this disturbing. We run on a 9221-130, TCP/IP, 3172 Ethernet
bridge. All backups to 3480 Carts.

OS/2 Backups are the least expensive

Windows Backups use 50-300% more CPU

AIX is a Real Dog

NetWare -- 900 cpu seconds to backup 400 meg/8000 objects

This will cause us to do some serious re-thinking about offering the
service to our user community. If just every LAN server wanted the
service, I would need a 5 day weekend to back them all up.
At the miniscule prices we charge our users, that Netware Backup
would cost $200. It should cost no more than $40. Believe me, we have
trouble getting them to spend $40 of funny money on a regular basis.

I would love to see AdStar/DSM be a success. At the prices I would have
to charge, it would be cheaper for each LAN server to purchase
a PC tape drive and a couple cases of tapes.

Something has to give.

Speaking only for myself,

Greg Piney
Sr. Systems Engineer