ADSM-L

Re: mac client how is it supposed to work

1994-03-22 15:47:37
Subject: Re: mac client how is it supposed to work
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 20:47:37 GMT
In <1994Mar21.221520.29288 AT draper DOT com>, SNOLEN AT vm.sas DOT com
(Leonard Boyle)
 writes:
>I should start by saying that I am not a mac person.
>

>In the ADSM Read Me file for the ptf IP20126 it says
>
>  If the file is named "ADSM Preferences", you may double-click the
>  "ADSM Backup" icon. Otherwise, double-click the preferences file or drag it
>  onto the "ADSM Backup"
>
>Well for me, with this system 7.0.1 mac, this did not work quite this way.
>Clicking on the "ADSM Backup or Schedule" icon resulted in a msg that the
>"ADSM Preferences" file could not be found. Double-clicking on the preferences
>file did start up ADSM.
>
>1) So is this something that I did wrong?

 We have had trouble like this - the ADSM Preferences must be exactly
that name.  Check for trailing spaces.

>2) The people that know more about macs then I do talk about having all the
>   preference files in a central location. With the drag and drop of
>   different preference files, I guess that this would be hard for ADSM.
>   Is ADSM breaking a mac convention with their end-user design. If so,
>   is this good or bad.

 I am not a Mac expert, what I know of it I have picked up while
installing ADSM.  Yes, it is non-standard to have the preferences in
the ADSM folder.  The ADSM preferences can be moved to System:
Preferences and ADSM will Still work.  I recommend against it - keep
all the ADSM stuff together.  This 'non-standardness' is the least of
it.  There are many more, like unresizable windows.

>3) It would seem a lot easier if one could just double click on the
>   ADSM Backup icon, if one wanted the default Preference file.
>   The "User's Guide and Reference for Apple(tm) Macintosh(tm) Release 1"
>   seems to say that one can do this if one is using system 6.x but not
>   system 7. Is this an mac architecture design feature?

Once you get the preferences name correctly, you can just click on the
Backup or the scheduler on any MacOS level (6.07 or higher).

>4) If one was not installing the ptf, how would one upgrade the existing
>   software. Would one just insert the ptf disks one by one, open the
>   diskette folder and drag the contents on top of the existing ADSM
>   folder? Could one install the software on one mac and then restore
>   the files to mac 2 thru n? Could this be done from an remote initiated
>   job?

We install the Mac client over the network via 'Chooser' and
Appletalk.  To upgrade, delete all existing files in the ADSM folder
EXCEPT the preferences.  Drag/copy at least Backup, Scheduler, Help,
and Messages.  Everything else is optional.  This works well for us;
it better -- this morning I counted 343 mac clients in use.

>5) Does anyone use other methods then the ADSM scheduler to manage backups.
>   For example schedule a procedure which might start a inc backup, then
>   after the backup is finished send the log to another server for
>   auditing. Is it possible to schedule this proccess from another server
>   not on the mac being backed up?
>   That is have a remote server startup a client backup, then wait for
>   backup log to be sent to it. Check the backup log for any errors.
>   If the server was really smart it could monitor the adsm server
>   checking for the backup session start and stop. If the events did not
>   happen within configurable window of time, it could check out the
>   network and try to restart the backup job. Any serious problems could
>   be reported to operations staff.

 We use the scheduler a lot.  Centralized reporting of the results is
a big hole in the current product.  Share requirements have been
submitted in this regard.  I ocassionally monitor the data from
'query filespace * *' together with SMF data to see if someone's
backup is failing.  We don't require any particular frequency of
backups, so just looking at the 'q filespace' isn't good enough.

>Thanks len boyle
>       snolen AT vm.sas DOT com

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab