ADSM-L

Valid PC TCP/IP software

1994-03-07 20:39:44
Subject: Valid PC TCP/IP software
From: "Pete Tanenhaus, ADSM Client Development" <pt AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 20:39:44 EST
Original Append:

>> If we are going to use TCP/IP as the type of communication between
>> a VM server and a DOS or OS/2 client, do we have to use the IBM
>> version of PC/TCP/IP? If not, what is the name of the public
>> domain TCP/IP software that will work.

>You don't have to use the IBM version, but few, if any of the
>truly public domain TCP stacks will work worth bothering with. We
>use the FTP Software TCP stack, and I know others that use
>Beame&Whiteside and Novell's LAN Workplace code. As a university,
>you might seriously look at the FTP Software stuff; it's
>reasonably inexpensive, and it`s really high-quality code.

This is only true for the ADSM MS-Windows client !!!

It is not true for either the DOS or OS/2 clients. Since no binary
compatible API like WinSock exists for either DOS or OS/2, the only
TCP/IP stacks which will work are those which IBM has officially
announced support for.

For the DOS client, the supported stacks are IBM TCP/IP for DOS/Windows and
PC/TCP (FTP software) for DOS/Windows.

For the OS/2 client, the only supported stack is IBM TCP/IP for OS/2.

It would be nice if WinSock existed for platforms other than Windows (and NT)
but unfortunately, at the present time at least, it does not.

Pete Tanenhaus
ADSM Client Development