ADSM-L

Service - an update

1994-02-17 10:33:28
Subject: Service - an update
From: Martha McConaghy <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 10:33:28 EST
Since I complained so loudly about ADSM service a few weeks ago, I thought
that I would update you all on my experiences since then.  I never did get
an answer to my question as to which PTF should be ordered to get the current
level set.  However, I bravely forged ahead and called the Support Center.
I was transfered directly to ADSM support, which was very nice.  The fellow
was very helpful.  Apparently, he had a program that should give
him a cronological listing of the level set PTFs.  When I told him I wanted
the lastest, he read off a PTF number that I didn't recognize.  It was
something like UN4xxxx.  That number sounded too low to me, so I asked him
about UN53326, which I had heard about from this list and IBMLINK.  That
PTF didn't show on his list, but he did look it up.  He said that I was
right about it, and he didn't know why the PTF hadn't shown on his list.
We ordered the PTF and the new level sets for the OS/2 and DOS clients
and all is now well.

I am concerned, however, that there are obvious flaws in this process which
IBM needs to address.  I realize the product is very young and that we should
allow for some growing pains.  However, many of us have learned from
experiences with other products that bad habits which are developed at a young
age are very difficult to break.  Those of us who run TCP/IP on VM have been
promised for years that the service will be improved, but it is yet to happen.

On the positive side, the service I received went on very easily and cleanly.

Martha