ADSM-L

Re: question to ibm on how ptf service works

1994-02-04 14:47:13
Subject: Re: question to ibm on how ptf service works
From: Nick Laflamme <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 14:47:13 EST
On Mon, 31 Jan 1994 10:48:45 EST Steven P. Roder said:
>On Thu, 27 Jan 1994 11:12:55 EST Nick Laflamme said:
>>Odds are, Steve, that your SES format tape may not load even with the first
>>SES process fix on.  My VMFREC wouldn't complete; some internal command was
>>getting an RC 88 that ADSM level 2 isn't familiar with.  They sent me a new
>>tape last night in hopes that a different set of cosmic rays would
>>influence whether this works or not, but at the moment I'm continuing my
>>initial work with ADSM with just the base code.  I *want* to put the
>>service on, but I'm, shall we say, skeptical?
>
>Well, I just recieved and applied the "latest" level-set PTF without problems
>(UN53328).

You must be running VM/ESA 1.2.0 or 1.2.1, right, Steve?

I just found out this afternoon an open APAR, VM57805, addresses this
problem on VM/ESA 1.1 systems; it's a problem with VMFSIMPC not handling
huge PTFs quite right.  The fix is in the base of 1.2.0 and 1.2.1, which
would explain why Steve wouldn't see this problem but I did.

A SES support person read me the "zap" to the EXEC get it working; I'll
share the secret with other VM/ESA 1.1 customers if necessary.  ESA 1.1
customers are also encouraged to get on the Interested Parties list for
VM57805.  (A buffer size is increased from 12000 bytes to 15000 and a retry
limit is increased from 11 to 20 several places in VMFSIMPC.)

It's always nice to know that I'm not going crazy, that there really is a
cause for my torment.  :-)

Nick