ADSM-L

Selective backups

1994-01-27 14:00:23
Subject: Selective backups
From: Greg Piney <gpiney AT MGH DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 14:00:23 -0500
A question just came about which I could not find an answer to. A user
of ADSM wants to know if a Selective backup of their PC will REPLACE
the same objects previously backed up by way of an Incremental backup.
Or, does the Incremental backups keep separate entries in the catalog.

The reasoning is that the user would like to backup the PC monthly
on the day following our accounting close. This day floats.
The user does not want to pay for 2 complete copies of his
backups. (Yeah, we have to charge for this.)
Also, does the next days Incremental backup pick up only those
objects which are new or changed from the previous Selective backup??

Greg Piney
|  Greg Piney                      |   Portal     - GPiney                 |
|  Greg Piney                      |   Portal     - GPiney                 |
|  Sr. Systems Engineer            |   Internet   - GPiney AT mgh DOT com
  |
|  McGraw-Hill Inc.                |                Gpiney AT cup.portal DOT
com  |
|  "No, I don't know anyone in the company that will publish your book."   |
|  "No, I don't know anyone in the company that will publish your book."   |