ADSM-L

DSMOP and the VM SMSG interface to ADSM/VM

1994-01-26 16:33:30
Subject: DSMOP and the VM SMSG interface to ADSM/VM
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 16:33:30 EST
ADSM/VM has a DSMOP EXEC that just issues a CP SMSG command to
DSMSERV.  The Administrator's Guide on page 180 says

        Reply operators need to use the DSMOP EXEC to enter tape
        commands from the VM operator console.

I learned early on that this is a great way to enter all sorts of commands.
It became so second nature that *I* lost the connection between "Reply
operators" and the SMSG interface ... that is, until another ADSM
administrator saw me do it and then tried unsuccessfully.  He was an
administrator, but not a REPLYOP :-(, so it didn't work for him.

So, if the ADSM folks are listening, perhaps the doc could be upgraded to
show this method of access, please?

For the rest of you, perhaps you will find the SMSG interface useful in
your everyday management of ADSM/VM.  btw .. one of my PF keys is
defined as:

        PF12 DELAY #CP SMSG DSMSER

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE