ADSM-L

Re: Backing Up Network Drives

1993-12-29 15:31:19
Subject: Re: Backing Up Network Drives
From: David E Boyes <dboyes AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 14:31:19 -0600
> our servers by setting up links from a network client.  In
> going through my course notes and adsm client manuals, I have
> been trying to determine whether adsm supports backing up
> network drives.

Works just fine, albeit a bit inefficiently due to the transfer
of the data to the workstation and then back out to the server.
We did this with WDSF clients for DOS before the Novell clients
were available.

> Tbis would seem to rule out network drives, even though in
> the course I took, the instructor specifically said that network
> drives can be backed up.  Has anyone successfully used ADSM
> to back up a network drive from a network client (say a user's
> home directory linked to their h: drive)?

Network drives also have simulated volume labels. You'll probably
want to mount the desired network drives in specific locations
and explicitly specify those drive letters in a DOMAIN= parm (if
you use the default domain of ALL-LOCAL, it will ignore network
drives, as they are not local). From our experiments, it also
seems to work better if you define a network drive that exactly
covers as much of the physical drive on the server as possible.
Most network OS's like Netware or NT cache the directory and FAT
(I keep wanting to type VTOC...sigh) and use the cached copy
whenever possible.