ADSM-L

Re: HP Client / Domain statement

1993-12-01 14:43:27
Subject: Re: HP Client / Domain statement
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 19:43:27 GMT
In <1993Dec1.174443.24641 AT draper DOT com>, RZ21 AT mvs.gsi DOT de (Matthias
Feyerabend)
 writes:
>Matthias Feyerabend
>06151/359-519
>Gesellschaft fuer Schwerionenforschung
>Planckstr.1
>D-6100 Darmstadt
>
>Hi,
 00000100
>we are using ADSM MVS Server together with AIX RISC 6000
 00000200
>and HP UNIX Clients.
 00000300

 00000400
>For the automatic incremental backup we use
 00000500
>DOMAIN statements in the DSM.opt file.
 00000600

 00000700
>For the AIX this works fine, whereas for the HP-Unix client
 00000800
>the DOMAIN statements seem not to be accepted.
 00000900
>This means different filespaces than those in the DSM.OPT file
 00001000
>get backuped and my storage disks get full etc. etc.
 00001100

 00001200
>Another problem comes with the MVS SERVER. Migration processes
 00001300
>and space reclaimation on tape want a SCRATCH tape when they come
 00001400
>to an EOV on the DSM defined tape volume.
 00001500
>There are other empty DSM tapes waiting around.
 00001600
>On the PRIVAT or SCRATCH tape nothing is written, only mount
 00001700
>and demount.
 00001800

 00001900
I have experienced this problem also, and reported it to IBM.
In addition to the error in requesting the privat/scrtch tape, I also
want the option of not letting tapes be reused if they become empty.
We copy the tapes and send the copy offsite.  When a tape becomes
empty and is automatically reused, the tape which it will be copied
to is not onsite.  Since all our tapes are in an STK 4400, a request
for a tape not in the STK unit generates a lot of trouble for us.

As a workaround I suggest deleting empty tape volumes and redefining
them.  I haven't tried it, but I suspect the error is due to some
fields not being reset.

>Any comments or advice is appreciated.
 00002000
>M.Feyerabend