ADSM-L

Message from Brett Walker

1993-10-20 16:04:07
Subject: Message from Brett Walker
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 13:04:07 PDT
Leonard, I will also try to one of these...

>(4) Can someone  elaborate  on how  ADDSM works  with  file servers?  The
>    following question From Rick Chang's  survey would suggest that there
>    are some changes that are needed.
>
>> 11. Would you like a client to be able to restore files that were backed up
>>     (to an ADSM sever) by a file server?
>>
>>      __ 1.A must __ 2.Very helpful __ 3.Nice to have
>
>    Can  the root  user  restore any  object to  any  location? Is  there
>    security provided to prevent one  user from restoring another's files
>    (unless the restoring id has read permission)? Are timestamp and file
>    permissions preserved when an object is restored? ACL lists?
>
>    Is there any  support for system or group administrators.  If not can
>    this  be handled  with an  exit. For  example one  could have  an MIS
>    person in charge of accounts payable.  You would want them to be able
>    to  act as  a surrogate  for the  end users  of the  accounts payable
>    software. Or an instructor over a set of students.
>
>    In an environment where workstations  are not personal and people can
>    log onto one of n machines, how does one handle backups and restores.
>    assume  the  end-user  file  directories  are  stored  on  a  set  of
>    file servers. Do  you have a  separate backup for each  user directory
>    tree on the server. Or is the server backed up as a separate unit. If
>    the server  is backed up  as a separate  unit can the  end-user still
>    request restores of her/his file(s)?

      Basically, with the Unix clients, root can restore anything backed up
      under his machine id, including ACLs, etc (Unix guys, correct me if
      I'm wrong).

      As for group administrators, do you mean someone who can restore
      files to someone else's workstation for them?  We don't really
      provide that capability.  If the files are on a file server, then you
      could have someone in charge of backing up/restoring certain
      directories.

      Currently with the Netware client, when you backup the server,
      the supervisor backs the server up, and only a supervisor can
      restore the files.  So the question becomes, when user files exists
      on the server and are backed up, do you want the end users to be able
      restore those files themselves (either back to the server or to their
      local machine) or simply let the supervisor do it?  I understand this is
      a desirable function, but is it a must have requirement, and are there
      any other backup products that allow this level of granularity?

Brett Walker