with directory containter pools - inline or client side dedup+compression?

wuestenfuchs

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have the following question:

I am currently migrating a customer from traditional disk/tape pools to a directory container pool setup (using TSM 8.1.1). So far the experience is great (great savings, local tape protection pools are a big step forward compared to traditional copy pools for file pools with dedup).

But I am unsure about one thing:

Should I use client side dedup and compression when sending data to a directory container pool or should I use inline (server side) dedup and compression? I know that each has its benefits. But I am unsure if there are difference in terms of dedup ratio and if I can mix both.

Thanks for any insights you may have!

Kai-Uwe

Should I use client side dedup and compression when sending data to a directory container pool or should I use inline (server side) dedup and compression?
When the client has the horsepower to do the dedup and compression, it's best to do client-side to relieve the server from some of the workload.
But I am unsure if there are difference in terms of dedup ratio and if I can mix both.
Exact same dedup and compression ratios. The only difference between client-side and server-side is who does the work, but the end result is the same. You can have the clients that can handle client-side do client-side, and have the less performant client do server-side. You can also switch from client-side to server-side (or vice-versa) at any time if you want to.

Thanks. I'll then probably distribute the load a bit to at least the high volume clients.
Otherwise the server might get too high of a load.
Also, it will probably reduce the network load.

Also, it will probably reduce the network load.
It would. It will not reduce the backup time by a lot, because the client will spend time deduplicating the data, as opposed to spending time sending ALL the data. But it will reduce network traffic which does have benefits.

I know you stated 8.1.1 above, but you will want to make sure all the clients are greater than 7.1.6 if doing client side compression into the container storage pool to take advantage of the LZ4. Otherwise, you may be better off letting the server do the compression work.

I know you stated 8.1.1 above, but you will want to make sure all the clients are greater than 7.1.6 if doing client side compression into the container storage pool to take advantage of the LZ4. Otherwise, you may be better off letting the server do the compression work.
Good point.

Back