Windows XP BMR

vvragav

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

we are facing a problem in recovering a Windows XP system. As mentioned in the IBM redbpaper, we created ASR diskette and took a full backup of the system.

We successfully restored the files using the ASR disk and using TSMCLI.EXE copied into a CD. When it rebooted automatically, we are getting a blue screen error stating

session5_initialization_failed

What could be the problem and how can we solve this?

Regards.

Is the hardware the same?

It is hard to tell what is wrong based on the error message given. Any luck from Microsoft's website?

In any regard, I am about only 25% successful recovering a system this way. What I do is load a bare OS into an alternate directory (not c:\windows but something like c:\winnt), load the TSM client and restore the system files into c:\windows. I then tweak the boot.ini so I can choose which folder to load the OS from. This gives more flexibility to recover the system the way it was.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi,
On to the same system I am restoring. I once again tried the recovery. TSM reports restoration completed, but actually not a complete. While retrieving the system objects, it says as '*** Interrupted***'. After restoration, it boots and asks for the registration. I am herewith attaching the snapshots. Please look and help me.
My colleagues are working as you said.
Thanks and regards.

Have you tried just activating again?

Microsoft has installed this registration feature to avoid cloning and restoring a XP system this way, I believe, is considered cloning.

Back