Windows TSM server . Need to understand the drives.

Swagat

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi All ,

I have windows TSM sever where there are several drives and I need to understand where my data is being backed up . I have 2 almost full drives with identical space values on them . Also I have one more drive which also contains backed up data but i cannot identify from the > q stgpool command which pool is using which drive and why do I have that additional drive .

upload_2017-7-6_9-41-56.png

PREDATAR Control23

upload_2017-7-6_9-44-29.png

This is my qstgpool output . The thing is backups are failing with space issue and I am not sure if I can use the 19TB on the M: drive ( see pic above )

PREDATAR Control23

If you run "q devc filedev f=d" you will should see that your APP_DATA pool is using both of your K: and L: drives. This storage pool is full.

Output of "q stg app_data f=d" would be useful to see how much space can be reclaimed from there. It does look like you need more disk.

Any reason you are not using container pools?

PREDATAR Control23

Can you tell how can I use container pools ? How will it help me ? Also im unsure about the M drive . It has 19tb free and holds some of the backups . Can I reduce that and use it on K and L drives ?

PREDATAR Control23

upload_2017-7-6_10-35-30.png

K,L,M .. all three drives are being used . I have enought space on M . Also please find the error that is being encountered on DB end .

7/06/2017 14:33:15 ANS0361I DIAG: dbOpen(): error opening/creating lock file '/opt/Tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/tsmnrtable.DB.Lock' .
07/06/2017 14:33:15 ANS2124W Client node replication table is locked by another process.
07/06/2017 14:33:15 ANS0361I DIAG: dbOpen(): error opening/creating lock file '/opt/Tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/tsmnrtable.DB.Lock' .
07/06/2017 14:33:15 ANS2124W Client node replication table is locked by another process.
07/06/2017 14:33:15 ANS0361I DIAG: dbOpen(): error opening/creating lock file '/opt/Tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/tsmnrtable.DB.Lock' .
07/06/2017 14:33:20 ANS9178E Instrumentation cannot open file /var/log/tivoli/dsminstr.log due to the following error: Permission denied.
07/06/2017 14:33:20 ANS9178E Instrumentation cannot open file /var/log/tivoli/dsminstr.log due to the following error: Permission denied.

-rw------- 1 root root 0 May 30 15:14 tsmnrtable.DB.Lock
-rw------- 1 root root 4216 May 30 15:14 tsmnrtable.DB
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root sapinst 1293 Jul 6 14:28 dsm.sys

07/06/2017 14:27:19 ANS2124W Client node replication table is locked by another process.
07/06/2017 14:27:19 ANS0361I DIAG: dbOpen(): error opening/creating lock file '/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/tsmnrtable.DB.Lock' .
07/06/2017 14:27:19 ANS2124W Client node replication table is locked by another process.
07/06/2017 14:27:19 ANS0361I DIAG: dbOpen(): error opening/creating lock file '/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin64/tsmnrtable.DB.Lock' .

PREDATAR Control23

error that i see on actlog
upload_2017-7-6_12-41-33.png

Can I update the stgpool with more space that I have on the drives ? Or I need a new stgpool ?

upload_2017-7-6_12-42-43.png

HELP !!!!!

PREDATAR Control23

Ok. K, L and M drives are used for your APP_DATA, APP_LOGS and OS_FILES storage pools. You have more space on disk than has been allocated to the storage pools. 87.3 TB disk is available but just under 68TB is usable by the storage pools.

From here I would increase the maxscratch for the APP_DATA storage pool by 380. "upd stg APP_DATA maxscr=<new_figure>"

After that, it would be best to run some reclaimation for the APP_DATA pool. That will clean up any volumes which it hasn't been able to reclaim as well as to help distribute the data across the K,L and M drives.

As for using container pools, that is something you can look at later. You will need the database to be on SSD disk and you will need more diskspace to do the conversion. The advantages are in deduplication and compression.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks I could solve it by adding volumes .

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

I am facing the same issue but i can see my disk storage pool is utilized 100 percentage..and at the same time we dont have scratch tapes so yesterday my backups were failed.
anyway i requested for scratch tapes from media ops, But how can i clear the disk storagepool full.

stg.jpg

PREDATAR Control23

I notice all of your tape pools are showing as 0% utilized. Do you have any data on tape yet? Is this a new setup?

Once you have space in your FILE_TAPE_POOL the migration job should kick off automatically move data from the FS_DISK_POOL to FILE_TAPE_POOL.

You really need those scratch tapes. If you can't wait, you could allocate space to FS_DISK_POOL while you wait for the tapes to arrive. Or redirect the data to where you do have space although with all the separation that is setup here, I don't imagine that is an option.

The VE_DISK_POOL is close to having the same issue. It should also start migrating data to VE_TAPE_POOL with some scratch tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

I notice all of your tape pools are showing as 0% utilized. Do you have any data on tape yet? Is this a new setup?

Once you have space in your FILE_TAPE_POOL the migration job should kick off automatically move data from the FS_DISK_POOL to FILE_TAPE_POOL.

You really need those scratch tapes. If you can't wait, you could allocate space to FS_DISK_POOL while you wait for the tapes to arrive. Or redirect the data to where you do have space although with all the separation that is setup here, I don't imagine that is an option.

The VE_DISK_POOL is close to having the same issue. It should also start migrating data to VE_TAPE_POOL with some scratch tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi,

Not sure on why tape pools utilization is showing as 0%..Am new to tape management in tsm..It would be very helpful if you could help on this..Before that migration didnt work due to there are no scratchs avaialble.

I REQUETSED for tapes today morning..and am checking on disk space utilization freeup..before i wait fro tapes.i want to clear the disk space utilization..could you tell me how can i cehck which disks it is pointing and which files i can move to other location please.

Help me with this setup , i can provide infrmation whatever you require, could you please help me with what setup currently my environment having.

PREDATAR Control23

could you please tell me how can i raise a query in this site..like the above question..

PREDATAR Control23

How long before the scratch tapes arrive? Anyway to get these faster?

I don't really want to talk you through hacking up your config when scratch tapes should fix it.

Output from the following two queries would give more info on your tape usage.

SELECT volumes.stgpool_name, count(*) as "Number of Tapes" FROM volumes, libvolumes WHERE volumes.volume_name=libvolumes.volume_name GROUP BY stgpool_name

select library_name, count(*) as volumes, status, mediatype from libvolumes group by status,mediatype,library_name

PREDATAR Control23

yestarday we were ran out tapes a nd tried migration but it was not taken due to no tapes at all, so after that we change the nextdetsinati. to another stgpool and migrated..so its decreased now..but for requesting tapes from offsite still i couldnt see anything in vault retreive..ur help is highly appreciated..thanks..

Am really new to TSM...i need very basics of tape management.

here is the output for commands
2.jpg

PREDATAR Control23

Ok, it would be worth looking at the tapes and seeing how full they are. Do you have a lot of tapes with low utilization, lots in filling state? Commands below will help.

q vol stg=file_tape_pool

q vol stg=tdp_tape_pool

q vol stg=ve_tape_pool

Do you know if reclaimation is running? Are you sending tapes offsite and regularly receiving tape back onsite again?

PREDATAR Control23

yes , Reclaimination is running and daily activity we are sending only copy pool full tapes to offsite.Not sure we an send tape pool full tapes as well..
Need to know what is the use of keeping tape pool full tapes at onsite apart from restoration..
FRom one month am sending copy pool full tapes to offsite and alternate days i used to request for vault retrieve since it was showing in q drm..Now in drm i can tapes raraely

yesterday i tried movedata for onsite tapes with low utilization and got only one tape..

file.jpg ve.jpg
tdp.jpg

PREDATAR Control23

Ok. Your Full primary pool tapes really need to stay onsite in your library. These are used to do offsite reclaimation and things will get in a mess fast if you remove these from the library. However it looks like reclaimation may not be running against these pools as there are a number of Full tapes with low utilization.

Try running some reclaimation against your TDP_TAPE_POOL storage pool and you should be able to free up some tapes fast. I would use the following command.

reclaim stg TDP_TAPE_POOL th=60 du=180

This will run reclaimation for 3 hours against this pool and you should be able free up 4 or 5 tapes quite quickly. You will want to avoid running this while the backup or expiration is running and check you have available tape drives - probably just two required.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you so much..

Can you explain me How offsite reclamanation work if i keep these tapes onsite..

PREDATAR Control23

One more please how we will know when this tape pool tapes will come to scratch.i know that once data expired it will come but not sure where exactly we can check when it will expire..