Windows server connected to DS4000

Stephan

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.twosix.ca
Hi.

I have a windows server that i need to connect to a ds4700 through fiber HBAs. It will be connected directly to the back of the DS4700, no SAN switch in between.

The proper connection would be to set up the hbas and ds4700 in a point-to-point topology? Not a loop? Am i correct?

Thanks.

Going back in my memory from ESS class many years ago....

point-to-point is for switch attached.
loop is for direct attached.

-Aaron

Point to Point requires that the switch provide the arbitration. With loop (actually called arbitrated loop) the arbitration is between the two devices in the loop.

You'll see most tape devices log into the SAN switches with FC-AL (FibreChannel Arbitrated Loop) and most hosts with FCP (FibreChannel Protocol) The switch handles creating loops where needed and a fabric elsewhere.

Its all starting to come back to me... Took my ESS training in Chicago after we had had 3 ESSes (an E20 upgraded to F20, an F20 and a new 800) many moons ago.

-Aaron

Hi.

I have a windows server that i need to connect to a ds4700 through fiber HBAs. It will be connected directly to the back of the DS4700, no SAN switch in between.

The proper connection would be to set up the hbas and ds4700 in a point-to-point topology? Not a loop? Am i correct?

Thanks.

Just leave "auto" and it will works fine. You must install two HBA (2 single port) or one two-port HBA if you want to have failover (if one of raid controllers goes offline or something like this). two single port HBA better than one with two ports.

also you MUST install MPIO\RDAC driver if you connect to DS4700 via 2 HBA (or one with two ports).

Heada is correct - loop for direct attached. This means that you will need two HBAs on your server.

NO! Two HBA needs for failover in case of disaster. TWO HBA gives additional path to the storage\LUNs. With ONE HBA will work fine but if link goes down - server lost access to the storage.

Thanks guys...

I did just that this morning, created my host with it's 2 hbas, and associated 3 LUNs to that host. Now, i added a second server to my leftover ports on each controller (ctrlAport2 and ctrlBport2). I am getting some weird errors though The newly added windows box was trying to read the LUNs associated with my first server...!?

What i'm I missing? Some config somewhere?

Thanks guys...

I did just that this morning, created my host with it's 2 hbas, and associated 3 LUNs to that host. Now, i added a second server to my leftover ports on each controller (ctrlAport2 and ctrlBport2). I am getting some weird errors though The newly added windows box was trying to read the LUNs associated with my first server...!?

What i'm I missing? Some config somewhere?

Use storage partition!!!!! Another windows BOX can destroy other LUNS on its startup. windows can start scandisk on LUNS of other server. its very!!!! dangerous.
there are three ways:
1) (the right way) Use storage partition on DS4700. Move each host to its own storage parition
2) On first Windows server disable disks of second server (in hardware manager) on second - disable disks of first server.(right click -> disable). If you add new LUN to one of windows box you MUST rescan disks in online (several times or run hot_add.bat) and disable this LUN on server.
3) try to use LUN MASKING on HBA. Use HBA software for configure visibility of LUNS.

AFAIR DS4700 by default has two storage partitions activated. USE IT!!!!!!!

Back