Windows Server 2012

wuestenfuchs

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Did anyone manage to install TSM Server 6.3.3 on Windows Server 2012?
I know it is not supported yet, but I still have some reason why I would like to move to it.

But installation fails with some strange XML error:
"XML document structures must start and end within the same entity."

Last edited:
It looks like nobody here attempted this yet ...

I found out it is only a problem of either the outdated InstallAnywhere (dated 2010) or of the IBM deployment engine. I was successful in installing the necessary TSM server components manually (db2, TSM server, license and devices). The TSM 6.3.3.100 server is now up and running (and working!) on Windows Server 2012. Didn't attach the library yet, though.

Finding out this was alone worth the effort. I really hate this dumb InstallAnywhere package. Installing the parts manually is much more flexible and provides better feedback if something goes wrong.

Hi, can you please describe the procedure to manually install TSM? Or at least, describe the steps that you've made to install?

I'm also facing problems when attempting to install TSM on Win Server 2012.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

You unpack the install package as usual. The you go into the COI\packagesteps subdirectory.
There you will find a subdirectory for each component. Needed for a new installation are:
- db2
- TSM server
- TSM license
- TSM device driver
In each of these subdirectories you will find a subdirectory named FILES which contains the installer for the component.

You simply execute each of these four installers (the order does not really matter) and try to make sensible choices during installation. For the TSM components this is easy.

For DB2 you need to choose the advanced setup and decide what to enter for the various steps from what makes sense to you and/or what you can look up on a running TSM 6 server. These are the important ones:
- installation directory of DB2
- name the DB2 copy "DB2TSM1" (it will probably work with other names too, but with this it will look more like a "real" installation)
- afterwards you will need to delete the automatically installed instance named DB2 with "db2idrop db2"

Then you can proceed like described in the manual for initializing the server. I used the "manual initialization". Be aware that the manual is a bit vague on where to create the dsmserv.opt (in the directory where you want the "instance data directory" to be located) and how to tell the system that the directory you choose is just that (by executing the dsmserv format from within it).

I happened to do such an installation with 6.3.3.200 on Windows Server 2012 just today and it works fine.

I am currently training the move of our production TSM server from an old Windows Server 2003 (which is no longer supported) to Windows Server 2012 - which is not supported yet. But I do not want to install 2008 R2 (already a couple of years old) since I already have a 2012 OS license and this machine is going to run for a couple of years ...

Back