Windows DFS for dummies...

Rigido

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a *nix man and a TSM administrator, now customer wants to backup their DFS data.
Customer has two sites with DFS server on site A replicating on site B and vice-versa.
We thought it was possible to backup data just mapping DFS shares locally on a workstation, but it looks like it won't work.
Can someone, PLEASE, help me understand if a workstation can backup mapped DFS shares or if I have to setup a TSM client on the "DFS server"?
We thought on the workstation solution so we shouldn't take care of "site switching" events...

Thanks.

There's 2 method:
  1. Back up the Dfs link metadata and the actual data at the share target of each link from the workstation hosting the Dfs root. This method simplifies back up and restore by consolidating all of the Tivoli® Storage Manager activities on a single workstation. This method has the disadvantage of requiring an additional network transfer during backup to access the data stored at link targets.
  2. Back up only the Dfs link metadata that is local to the workstation hosting the Dfs root. Back up the data at the target of each link from the workstation(s) which the data is local too. This method increases back up and restore performance by eliminating the extra network transfer, but requires Tivoli Storage Manager back up and restores to be coordinated among several workstations.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.client.doc/t_bac_dfs.html

There isn't much more documentation than that.

Thank you Marclant, I found that on the BA manual, but I was wondering if someone could help me as I'm not a Windows admin and some concepts are not clear...that's why I wrote "for dummies" :)

Back