Windows Copy of a HSM file on AIX fails with Cannot Copy File: multiple reasons.

rallingham

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
http
For about 3 months now I have been fighting a battle where I use windows to copy a file, right click and copy then paste to a windows partition.

Now AIX is running Samba and the files are migrated by HSM to TSM. If I use the copy method on files that are not migrated or have been recalled first the copy is successful. The same thing applies to FTP, the files come back. Howver with FTP it doesn't seem to matter if the files are migrated or not.

Anyway after numerous traces that ran concurrently on AIX and XP we were able to determine that Windows was sending a Cancel Session and AIX with HSM/TSM would stop recalling files and then Samba would issue a Cancel Session. Convincing the Windows folk that this was a timeout due to their default settings was difficult. However I was able to convince them by staying with the issue.

I now have a fix for this issue, so if anyone is having similar issues with Migrated files via HSM on UNIX, let me know and I can tell you what I did to resolve the issue. Note however that MS claims I have changed the way Windows works, yet they supplied the New Registry Key, that I had to enter. Note this is a NEW KEY, you are not modifying a current key in the registry. It is unlikely that this will be released as a fix by MS so if you have this issue facing you digging out the fix will be difficult.

I can be reached at [email protected]

It has been a while since I checked back on this issue. The main thing is this is NOT NEW, but is UNDOCUMENTED as far as registry entries go.

The default is 45 seconds on the timeout and so far I have it up to 600 seconds. The issue no longer exists with the timeout this high.

Anyway below is what MS sent me regarding the issue:

Please check this article to increase the session timeout in Windows http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/58909.mspx?mfr=true. You need to add the value SessTimeout under the following registry key:

HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesLanmanWorkstationParameters

From the article: ?If there is an unexpected delay, the redirector permits the operation this extra time to complete.? So, you can assign SessTimeout the expected delay AIX takes to retrieve data from the drive.

Please let me know how the test with this new registry value goes.

Back