Windows Cluster Configuration

tsmhelum

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Windows Cluster Configuration.

Hello all,

We have been having another issue with one of our Clients Windows
Cluster Configuration and the TSM Scheduler and TSM Web Client were uninstalled/reinstalled.

I have a question about Windows Clustering, When creating the scheduler
On the PHYSICAL NODE of a Cluster do you check the box in the setup
GUI Wizard that says ‘THIS IS A CLUSTER NODE”?

For some reason I don’t think it was checked on the Physical node’s
Scheduler when I viewed this before. It is however checked on the BOTH
Virtual Nodes when creating the Scheduler the cluster nodes are the H disk
and the Quorum disk that reside on the Physical nodes. Their dsm.opt files have
clusternode yes in them.Which explains their scheduler clusternodes boxes being
checked Am I correct?

I am still trying to find this information in a redbook. (ITSM in a Clustered Envirnoment)

Thanks for any help or comments in advance!

TSM 5.3.4
AIX 5.3
Windows 2000 server (client server)
Windows client TSM 5.3.0

Last edited:
It depends if its a shared resource it needs to be cluster aware. If the Quorum is a local disk you should set cluster no, if its a shared resource then your should have cluster yes. We have our C:\ on our windows clients setup with the cluster no option just to capture the C:\, sytem object, and system state. We use the hostname for this and not the virtual node name. We have our Quorum within our cluster group and it fails over with the cluster group resource, so in this instance we set cluster node yes for the scheduler. Hope this helps.

Just curious, how many TSM Scheduler service do you have per node? There should be two: one for the node, and one for the cluster resource shares. The same is true for the Web clients.

In any case, the clusternode yes setting must be set for the shared resource. I do my scheduler service setup for the cluster environment through the DOS window using the dsmutil command.

Last edited:
Thanks djchopps0013 and moon – for your reply!

How can you tell if it’s a shared resource?? I do know that the Quorum and the other
Drive in the cluster that is being backed up are local disks

There is TSM Scheduler service for the physical node (drive c) the H disk and Quorum There is one web client that I can see.

On the client machine When you got to >>>START>>>Programs>>>Administrative Tools>>> Services Should the TSM scheduler say “STARTED MANUAL” for the virtual cluster nodes? Or just MANUAL?

Thanks again

In a Windows cluster environment, the quorum disk is normally a shared resource. The reason is that the cluster state is recorded on this shared disk. In the event of a fail-over, the system knows how to respond and keep track of the last things being done by the system prior to a fail-over. For redundancy, Windows also has a copy of the cluster state in each of the nodes.

A shared resource drive is normally where you put data that you need to be available every time. Files like Departmental shares/folders, user personal files, databases, etc. The resource share is configured via MS Cluster Manager.

Now, for TSM to work properly, backups for the shared resource should follow the fail-over environment: when NODE A has the shared resource, TSM should be able to backup the share resource. It should likewise have the ability to restore files unto the shared resource. The opposite must also be true when NODE B has the shared resource.

Thus, you need two sets of services per node: one for the node itself (Scheduler, Client and Remote Client) and one for the shared resource (Scheduler, Client and Remote Client).

The Redbook: Tivoli Storage manager for Windows Administrator's Guide has this discussed well under Appendix B: Configuring and Managing Clusters

Last edited:
Thanks for this Moon, This explanation has helped I will take a look at the IBM Redbook
appendix B.

Back