Windows cluster and client passwords

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Win 2008 active/passive cluster which seems to forget its TSM client password any time the cluster fails over. The password hasn't changed, and I don't believe it has expired. Yet every time this cluster fails over, I have to go back onto the active node are re-register the client. Why would this happen?

I have passwordaccess set to "generate" in the shared dsm.opt file.

Sincere thanks
C.J.

I should also have mentioned that I have "clusternode yes" set in the dsm.opt file for this cluster node.

Where is the cluster dsm.opt located? Have you defined the cluster resources on the shared environment?

When I create a clustered TSM environment, I place the cluster dsm.opt file on the Quorum ( Q: ) drive and set the passexp=0 for the cluster node (this is not the BA client nodes). The cluster TSM password are then set on both nodes during initial setup - failing from one node to another.

Last edited:
You should place the opt file on the resource disk that fails over and have the service resource set the manual on each node.

Hi,

Check the cluster TSM process, and see if you replicate the registry key containing the password. It is typically located in this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\Nodes\TSM-VE01_VMWARE\TSM09

Hi C.J.
Try the following

On Node 01

Setup the cluster options file/logs etc to all point on the storage drive that will fail over. I would not use the Quorum. Stick with the data drive something like tsm.clusternode_name

Once setup launch TSM, and make sure you authenticate with the TSM server.
Add the TSM service. Use something like this

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmcutil" install /name:"TSM Schedule Service -clusternode_name" /node:%NODE% /password:pASSWORD /clientdir:"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient" /optfile:"v:\tsm.clusternode_name\dsm.opt" /validate:no /autostart:no /startnow:no

"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmcutil" install CAD /name:"TSM Client Acceptor -clusternode_name /password:pASSWORD /CADSCHedname:"TSM Schedule Service -clusternode_name" /clientdir:"C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient" /optfile:"v:\tsm.clusternode_name\dsm.opt" /validate:no /autostart:yes /startnow:no /node:%NODE%

One the service is setup on Node 01, add it to the Microsoft Cluster.
Simply add a resource, add the newly created service account.

Make sure to verify the failover policies. Generally it is a bad idea to have this resource fail over the nodes if it stops.
Under Reg key, input the following SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\Nodes\clusternode_name

Start the service, check the logs. if all looks good, let start on the next part.

TURN off the service.

Node 02

Failover everything to node 02

Use the same process as above to add the service accounts.

Start the service from within the cluster only. This will copy over the replicated REG key from above that contains the password from node 01. Check the logs to verify.

Good luck,
Odysseus

FYI.

As a preference, I use the CAD service to call the Scheduler service. So when setting up the cluster, you would only need to add the CAD service.

In your dsm.opt options files you will also need to add

MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

Back