Windows 32 or 64 with TSM 5.4

mgell

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello

I will be building a new TSM 5.4 server on a IBM System x3750 server next week using Windows EE 2003. BUt should I remain with the 32 bit windows platform or should I move on to the 64 bit. The server hardware is not a issue, but is it worth it in TSM performance to go to the Windows 2003 64 bit?

I figure that there would be no added performance enhancement because of the probability of what will be backed up are still on the 32 bit platform.

How's your database cache? You can get more with 64 bit.

Just read your post and I was wondering how you made out. I am going through the same thing right now, installing 5.4 on Windows 2003 64bit server.

I've been running 5.3.4 since early this year on 2003 64 bit. However I'm having problems extending my bufferpool size past 1048576. Whenever my bufferpool size is larger than that my TSM service will not start. Using self tune buffer pool I will grow slightly larger, however no where near the 8388608 I would like to set it too. The server is a dedicated TSM server and I have 18 Gig of ram in it. Anyone have any ideas? I've contacted IBM and their only suggestion was to use self tune.

Back