Will change in retetion policy change inactive data?

Cyclone

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have some data in a server directory that I want to save longer than our normal 180 day policy covers. So we set up a new Management Class with a much longer retention and using the incl/excl list, told TSM to save files in that specified directory to the new policy.

My question is. Will data (in that directory) that is currently inactive and only goes back 180 days, be retained with the new mgt class, or since it was backed up prior to the implementation of the new mgt class, still be bound to the 180 days of the original mgt class and be expired?

Thank you,
Don

The answer is it depends because inactive files are in 2 categories.

Inactive but has an active version (ie the file is not deleted on the filesystem), when backing up the active to the new management class, all previous versions (inactive) are also bound to the new management class. You would see "rebinding" all over the dsmsched.log.

Inactive because the files has been deleted from the filesystem, therefore no active version). These will not be rebound to the new management class because you can not back them up, they are deleted. So if you do not want to loose those, you would need to increase the verdelete and retonly to keep them longer, but that will affect all data bound to that management class.

Hi Marc,

Thank you for the reply. It is bad news for me because the data in question has been deleted and is part of a mgt class that is vast. So I can not set the retonly to nolimit without impacting nearly everything. But I have a clearer picture of the problem.

Don.

One thing you can try:
- copy the existing domain to a new domain
- change the mangement class in the new domain
- update the node to the new domain

So, all objects will stay bound to the same management class, but because in a new domain with only that node in it, only that node will be affected by the change.

Another option, you can restore the data and back it up again. However that will only work for the most recent version, not for previous versions because you can't restore them at the same time.

Back