Why TSM EE is reported as in use

daduranp

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
If I installed a new server and I receive this message on the "q lic" command:

Is Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition in use: Yes

How can I know what exactly is making TSM think I'm using EE functionalities considering I'm not using DRM, nor NDMP and we have a library partition of only 2 drives and 40 slots.

What command did you use to register the licenses?
Can you share the output of "query license"?

Did you buy TSM EE and registered the license as such? If so, there is your reason why it is reporting that TSM EE is in use.

Right now I only want to use the basic license so I only registered the corresponding file:

Code:
REGISTER LICENSE file=tsmbasic.lic

Here is the complete output but what intrigues me is how it diagnoses if I am using TSM EE features:

tsm: SRV-CHMP-TSM_SERVER1>q lic

Last License Audit: 04/30/2015 08:36:46
Number of TDP for Oracle in use: 0
Number of TDP for Oracle in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for MS SQL Server in use: 0
Number of TDP for MS SQL Server in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for MS Exchange in use: 0
Number of TDP for MS Exchange in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for Lotus Notes in use: 0
Number of TDP for Lotus Notes in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for Lotus Domino in use: 0
Number of TDP for Lotus Domino in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for Informix in use: 0
Number of TDP for Informix in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for SAP R/3 in use: 0
Number of TDP for SAP R/3 in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for ESS in use: 0
Number of TDP for ESS in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for ESS R/3 in use: 0
Number of TDP for ESS R/3 in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for EMC Symmetrix in use: 0
Number of TDP for EMC Symmetrix in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for EMC Symmetrix R/3 in use: 0
Number of TDP for EMC Symmetrix R/3 in try buy mode: 0
Number of TDP for WAS in use: 0
Number of TDP for WAS in try buy mode: 0
Is IBM System Storage Archive Manager in use ?: No
Is IBM System Storage Archive Manager licensed ?: No
Is Tivoli Storage Manager Basic Edition in use: Yes
Is Tivoli Storage Manager Basic Edition licensed: Yes
Is Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition in use: Yes
Is Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition licensed: No
Server License Compliance: FAILED

The only thing I think of is that at first I had a 120 slots library, but then I changed it to 40 slots so I did an audit lic and rebooted the TSM server just to double check, but maybe TSM considers the eventual configuration of a big library as a reason to permanently mark the server as TSM EE.

Here is the output where it confirms it's seeing a 40 slots library just in case:

tsm: SRV-CHMP-TSM_SERVER1>show slots ts3310
PVR slot information for library TS3310.
Library : TS3310
Product Id : 3576-MTL
Support module : 2
Mount count : 0
Drives : 2
Slots : 40
Changers : 1
Import/Exports : 6
Device : lb4.1.0.3
Drive 0, element 256
Drive 1, element 257
Changer 0, element 1

Did you buy TSM EE and registered the license as such? If so, there is your reason why it is reporting that TSM EE is in use.

That's the thing, we're buying TSM EE (but it's going to take a while while the providers come with an offer) because I want to configure replication node, but in the meantime I want to use the basic functions.

I downloaded my installer from PA where it only gives me the option to download a non-EE TSM Server (unlike another PA account I have for another site where I see a TSM EE option) and although after I installed the TSM server I saw the tsmee.lic file (I thought I was supposed to see only the tsmbasic.lic but it's my first time with a non-EE installation) I swear I did not use it. :oops:

The only way to reset the license is to delete or rename the NODELOCK file, and then re-register the license.

Good Luck,
Sias

The only way to reset the license is to delete or rename the NODELOCK file, and then re-register the license.

Good Luck,
Sias

Halted the server, renamed the file, started the server, registered the license (only tsmbasic.lic), audited licenses and no luck:(.

Now I wonder if maybe it's related with registering the server as a spoke on a Operations Center (it's the only "exceptional" think I did, it's a brand new server!) but that would be weird. Anyway it seems this subject is obscure so I guess I will open a formal ticket to know what contractual/technical alternatives we have considering we're planning to upgrade to EE anyway.

Thank you guys you always reply fast!

Surprise that renaming the NODELOCK file did not make any differnce.
Do we have more than one instance of the TSM Server?
If so, did we rename the correct NODELOCK file?

Operations Center - Hub or Spoke should not make any difference to the TSM Server license.

Good Luck,
Sias

It's only one instance, the server and the windows installation are also new. I double checked, it created on the same folder the new NODELOCK file after I renamed the other and rebooted the server.

Back