Why is the HSM section so dead?

tmcquaig

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.thesystemsengineer.com
Does anyone use this stuff? I am wanting to convert another file server to using HSM. I'm curious why there is so little activity here.

Is everyone using a different product?

Well, not too many people use HSM although its a very good solution where data need to be migrated automatically and in a rule based fashion to a hirarchy of storage devices. We are using it.

I am implementing an TSM/HSM on AIX. NEED HELP QUICK! Please

Maybe its me, but I don't understanding something about this. Like the TSM Server Adminstrative console, is there such a thing for HSM Server or is it the Client that run on the TSM Server that directs the migration/recall processes. I've worked with HSM on Mainframes and it seems alot like the same, but it confusing because I'm thinking you need IBM TSM Server and an IBM HSM Server, otherwise LPAR it with both on. Please could someone advise me on this?

The only thing that you need to do on the TSM server regarding HSM is to create the management class, stg pool to store HSM data and register space managment licenses. The HSM on mainframe is entirely different as compared to one that works with TSM. Every thing in case of TSM is done by the client, The HSM code (or space management client) is installed on the client machine and all the processes that perform the migration, recall and monitering is done by the daemons (processes) running on the TSM client. So, HSM client simply uses TSM server as the data repository for migration and recall of the data. As indcated earliar all the process runs on TSM/HSM client and there is no server console for HSM. Even on the client the HSM related daemons runs as backgroud process and on the unix platform they are named as dsmrecalld, dsmmonitord etc. A 'ps -eaf | grep dsm' on the client will show you these daemons.

Hope this helps.

I'm working with HSM in test and like it so far. It would be nice if it would use the CAD scheduler.

I'm leary of the TSM database being responsible for knowing where the files are in the stgpool. Does the STUB have any information about original data location? I'm under the impression that if my TSM server DB fails then my original migrated data will be lost as well.

tmcquaiq, On unix platform its TSM HSM processes that does every thing and their is no role of scheduler or CAD. The STUB contains information about the orignal file, i.e its arributes, location on the client etc. The STUB does not know where the file is stored on TSM server i.e in TSM db problem, you first need to restore the TSM database on TSM server and if needed you can restore the STUB file on the client (assuing that you had a problem on the client too and you lost your stubs). In the HSM manual there is a procedure given that tells you how to recover from a Client filesystem failure. I do not see any situation where you can actually lose any data and cannot recover. Thats not possible. Make usre that you are doing the backups of the STUBs though.

I will have the file spaces backed up like normal so the stubs will be caught as well. These backups run everyday and we will set the hsm policy ensure a backup of the original file is made first so no matter what we should be able to restore from backup.

Hey ALIMIRZA

HSM does work vey well in a Unix environment. On Windows it is completely different.

However, ALIMIRAZA, I definitely know of and have helped recover from a Disaster on a HSM Client where the DASD were lost (completely). Everything was wiped out.

The procedure for getting files undeleted worked fairly well but about 2% of the files were lost forever.

The only way to make sure you do not loose data is to BACK IT UP FIRST. Then let HSM migrate the data. It tooks years to run into this situation but I finally did and the customer is still fuming, yet they made a decision to handle the data by migrating and Not Backing it up.

There are always circumstances that come up that we have not prepared for or did not fore-see.

We have a couple of instances of HSM, but so far I have not had a need to use the forum. If I do I will let you know ;-)

Back