Who needs offline file support in MacOS ? (smb FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE)

nigoroll

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for other organizations who also need support for special handling of offline files on smb shares in MacOS X finder, similar to what exists in Windows Explorer in order to avoid generation of thumbnails and automatic display of previews.

As all of those who have come across the issue will know, MacOS X finder will, when a folder is opened, read all files to generate thumbnails and previews unless "show icon preview" / "show preview column" is disabled in the finder view options. This will make TSM-SM (like any HSM) recall the files unnecessarily.

When I requested this feature on behalf of my client (a large german publisher), Apple support replied that the impact score for this feature request is currently low, so they will probably not implement it anytime soon.

I would like to know who else needs this feature in order to make Apple raise the impact score. Ideally, could anyone who does please email me the name of their organization and the number of affected users.

Thank you,

Nils

I am running into the same issue as well. Unfortunately I don't think you will find enough people on here to have Apple address the issue.

Thanks,
James

Back