Where does the stanza get assigned for scheduled backups?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

We're assuming two or more stanzas here:

So when running 'dsmc' on the client, the dsm.opt file is the default if you don't specify a different .opt file, so TSM figures out which stanza to use based on the server name listed in the given .opt file and matching this against the same one in the appropriate stanza. That right?

Then how does it deduce this when a backup is run from a schedule on the server? Does it simply look at the node name associated with the schedule and then find that node name in the dsm.sys file so it then knows which stanza to use? It just goes to the dsm.sys from the get-go?

PREDATAR Control23

I must have missed it, but I looked at that document previously, and I didn't see anything about that. We do have two dsmcad processes wherein one specifies the custom .opt and the other the dsm.opt (although we could have left that off since that's the default). A `ps -ef | grep [d]smcad` reports thus:

/usr/bin/dsmcad -optfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.opt (contains server name for stanza 1)
/usr/bin/dsmcad -optfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm_arc.opt (contains server name for stanza 2)

I don't see anything regarding a node name. How does it know which of the above to assign to the node when the server starts the schedule for that node?

PREDATAR Control23

Your method works too. The nodename is in the corresponding stanza in dsm.sys.

PREDATAR Control23

Right, so it just looks right there for whatever stanza has that node name, so it doesn't have to track it by first reading the corresponding .opt file, getting the server name from there and then finding the stanza that has that server name like it would when using `dsmc`?

PREDATAR Control23

You had it right the first time. The .opt file determines the stanza, the stanza determines the nodename.

The link I gave you uses a variable to pass the opt file, you pass it literally with the -optfile option. Same end result, you end up with the optfile you want to use.