When did SSH become a pre-req for TSM Server install

rallingham

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
http
I have been looking through documentation and I was wondering when SSH became a pre-req for the TSM Server install. I was doing an upgrade on an AIX box and the install failed with "An Error occurred while verifying Password". After some poking around I found there was no SSH daemon and the loop back was failing. So they will throw me under the bus for this one, but hey live and learn.

I have been looking through documentation and I was wondering when SSH became a pre-req for the TSM Server install. I was doing an upgrade on an AIX box and the install failed with "An Error occurred while verifying Password". After some poking around I found there was no SSH daemon and the loop back was failing. So they will throw me under the bus for this one, but hey live and learn.

I believe the way to log in to AIX that required SSH started with AIX 5.2 which, as a consequence, was the way to 'get to' TSM for any install or update.

I believe that this is more of an OS issue rather than a TSM one - but, I may be looking at this from a wrong view.

Thank you. But here is where it gets strange. I had installed and maintained their TSM on V5.5. They had someone else move them to V6.3.x a while back. They re-engaged our company to upgrade them to V7.1.1. How were they able to get V6.3 in and running if SSH was not installed? This is very strange.

Thank you. But here is where it gets strange. I had installed and maintained their TSM on V5.5. They had someone else move them to V6.3.x a while back. They re-engaged our company to upgrade them to V7.1.1. How were they able to get V6.3 in and running if SSH was not installed? This is very strange.

Between 5.5 and 6.3.x, was the OS updated? OS still at the same level for the 7.1.1 move?

Most likely the OS was upgraded and it may have been someone from our tech group that did it. However when the AIX was upgraded to V6.1 TL03 then they did the TSM upgrade from V5.5.( a large computer company did it) Just before installing TSM V7 one of our guys moved the to V6.1 TL09 which was listed as a requirement. I can't believe that a move to TL09 would remove SSH. If anything was to happen it might require a reconfiguration not removal of SSH.

Most likely the OS was upgraded and it may have been someone from our tech group that did it. However when the AIX was upgraded to V6.1 TL03 then they did the TSM upgrade from V5.5.( a large computer company did it) Just before installing TSM V7 one of our guys moved the to V6.1 TL09 which was listed as a requirement. I can't believe that a move to TL09 would remove SSH. If anything was to happen it might require a reconfiguration not removal of SSH.

That would be odd. As far as I remember, SSH has been always a requirement since AIX 5.2 for security reasons. I don't recall any case working with AIX that I did not use SSH to log in to any AIX box from 5.2 and up.

Back