When did IBM TSM first use Incremental Forever

Stalef

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew when and in which version TSM first used Incremental Forever. I've searched wiki, adsm.org and googled it.
I found a Red Book for 3.7.3 and 4.1 which didn't mention it.

Best regards
Ståle

My understanding is that is has been there since the Adstar days - before IBM bought it but not 100% sure.

I have used 4.1 and incremental forever was already there.

Thanks.

According to this video from 2009 it has been used in more than 15 years, so at least since 1994, which makes the technology "somewhat more mature" than their competitors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io2MZ2xQekQ&fmt=18

I'm writing my Bachelor Essay about the differences between TSM and NetBackup and which one who would fit my company best.
Being a backupadmin with a decent knowledge of TSM, it is hard to not be subjective about it, but I try to be as objective as I can (for my essay at least)

My co-writer once asked me what I would think if I was a NetBackup admin and they told me to switch to TSM, I replied I suspect I would be furious.
- And what if I was told to switch from TSM to NetBackup? My reply was "Why?"

TSM isn't easy, TSM isn't foolproof at all, but NetBackup isn't that foolproof either and is somewhat complex with all services on different ports that are triggered between the server and the client.

In the end it isn't our decission (as students at least).

Back