What would be the best method in moving tapes from one library to another

nortiz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a Dell 136T tape library unit (52 tape slots) with data.

I have just purchased an IBM 3584 tape drive system with 231 slots and need to move the data from the Dell 136T as I'm planning on removing the Dell 136T tape library unit and plan to use it for something else.

Is there an easy way to move the data on the existing tapes to the newer library unit?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I have made the assumption that both libraries are connected to your Tsm server.

Hi,

I am in a similiar positon as yourself. Currently I migrating data from our Magstar 3575 to our 3583 LTO. The way I do it is by using the move data command to move the tape volume(s) to disk. The diskpool points to the new storage pool in the Lto and migration takes care of the rest. I don't know what tape medium the Dell 136T library uses, but I assume it is not LTO.

If you are running Tsm server 5.1, you can use the move nodedata command instead of the move data command. The move nodedata command is much easier to use. The server handles all the tape mounts for you. So, as far as know, the best way to move a tapes from one library to another is to use a diskpool and then migrate the data to the new storage pool. This of course only works if both libraries are connected to the same Tsm server.

Thanks for interest.

I do have LTO tape library units and have come up with diffferent methods to move data but as you have mentioned the move by node is easiest of all methods.

I was trying to get input from the world to see if I was off track in my thinking but there aren't too ways to move data in TSM.

The simple method is to check out all of my tapes with force = no then moving the tapes manually to the other tape unit. Once they are loaded I would check the tapes back in and there you have it the easy method.

The other method would be to use your method.

The last method and something I would not want to do but was suggested by one of my counter parts is to make a copy of the entire tape storage group by pointing the copy to the newer tape library unit. Note, this would be very time consuming and something I would not be in favor of.

Then a DR process would take place by editing the cfg files by removing the old tape drive referencing and using the new tape drive as the new reference point.

This would be the last thing I would every try and it is doable; but I would have to be in pretty bad shape to try this method.

I do thank you for taking the time in answering my question.

Until we meet again. :) :) :)

Hi!

I have just move data from a Qualstar TLS-8222 (22 Slots 2 LTO drives) to a Quantum DX30 (Diskbase Virtuel Drive) to get a fast restore.

And the command I use was

Move data

If you use TSM ver 5.

Just type

help move data

And read how you move data from one Lib to another Lib.

It´s was easy.

Back