What to expect after a successful cluster failover DURING a TDP backup/archive?

rpguerra

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi. The organization I work for has dozens of MS-SQL DBs hosted in Windows machines and clustered as MS Resource Groups, about 20 of them. TDP4SQL is properly configured in all of them, and when a cluster failover happens, or resource group ownership is changed on purpose, the new owner node assumes properly its TSM functions. It have happened and worked fine a bunch of times, I can confirm.

But what is it normal to expect if somebody changes the owner node while a scheduled TSM backup or archive is running ?
Shall the backup/archive schedule fail, because node parameters changed on the fly, or shall it end successfully ?

Thanks for any answer, and sorry if the subject has been already discussed here ( I couldn't find any related info on WWW, tried all keywords combinations I can imagine).

Afaik there is no way how to update the node definition in time when the node has openened session on tsm.

Thank you, jbastl.
I forced the situation to happen and got a message that seems to indicate that :

ACO5422E Received the following from the MS SQL server:
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.) (HRESULT:0x80131501)

As a matter of fact, I need some kind of official reference ( something from IBM would be the best ) to show DBAs that they cannot blame TSM for backup failure if they switch the cluster at their will. But your answer and this message may be good for now.

Greetings.

Back