What should i know in TSM?

fadzlirot

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi guys

I am very new to TSM and is looking forward to learn. I have a mentor who basically teach me about TSM commands and using the library. we are using the TS3310 library.
What he taught me so far is:

1. Client installation for Windows and Linux
2. TSM DB backup and maintenance
3. Physical tape maintenance, stock , check in, check out , find empty tape , storage group etc
4. BRF request for new tape
5. Tape library access and management
6. TSM daily reporting
7. Configure the script and rerun the backup
8. TSM Restoration for Window, Aix and Linux
9. Common TSM command

and will teach me on
1. Client installation for Aix
2. TSM Policy management

Can u guys add to what i should learn about TSM and storage such as tape management because right now i feel like i really lacking and kind of lost.

TL;DR - post what u think i should know about TSM and storage.

Thanks in advance

PREDATAR Control23

Here's some things I think are very important to understand:

1. Expiration - and how it relates to your environment (Ties in with TSM policy management)
2. TSM 'Wheel of life' (Page 4 onwards in this older presentation: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27021836&aid=1)
3. DRM if you are using it
4. Storage pool flow
5. Client include / exclude statements and Client Option Sets (Server side)
6. Any 'non-standard' backups that might be used on clients or any TDP style backup products that you use, eg. TSM for Virtual, TSM for Mail, TSM for Oracle etc....
7. Basic troubleshooting techniques for TSM to at least identify where a problem might start from.

There is tonnes of stuff within TSM to learn and if anyone ever said they knew everything about the product I'd challenge them on that.
We run a large complex environment and there are times when I need IBM support / ADSM for answers - even as an advanced user I find there's something new learned with TSM at least every week.

Edit: Added number 7.

PREDATAR Control23

I seriously recommend that you take some training. TSM is a very complex product and you can't try to learn it on the fly as you use it.

I'd start with something like this: http://www-304.ibm.com/services/lea...Type=course_description&courseCode=TS612G&cc= You may also be able to find 3rd party vendors that offer similar courses either online.

I agree with Paradox667, there is always something to learn. I've been working with TSM for 12 years and I'm still learning.