what is offsite tape

Bharanij

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i have a tape which i very important and i want to keep that out of my office and it should do be expire .

any one advice what are the steps pls

Rdgs,
Bharani

i have a tape which i very important and i want to keep that out of my office

Does this tape belong to a copy pool?
If so, you can check it out (HELP CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME) and store it in a safe place.
and it should do be expire .
Do you mean it should expire or not expire? I'm assuming the latter. Expiration is not based on the tape the data the resides on, but based on the managemenet class that the objects (files) stored on the tape are bound to.

You may need to expand on your requirements if that didn't answer your question.

Hi marclant,

1. how to check copy pool i think i have not configure any thing like that
2. what i have done i took my important configuration backup on tape and checkout same from library.

but when i try to take normal backup tsm server is looking that tape which is checkout and when i try q volume
it is still showing. new backups is not taking scratch tape it looking for that volume.

Rdgs,
Bharani

If TSM still thinks the volume is in the library you must have manually removed it without checking it out first (FROM TSM), not a good idea.
You need to setup a copypool in TSM it sounds like

2. what i have done i took my important configuration backup on tape and checkout same from library.
If it's a tape from a primary pool, not a good idea.
when i try q volume
it is still showing
Q VOLUME shows you the tapes that belong to a storage pool, regardless of their physical location
Q LIBVOLUME shows you the tapes that TSM thinks are in the library, by that I mean they are checked in. If you remove a tape manually, TSM won't know.

new backups is not taking scratch tape it looking for that volume.
TSM will pick a filling tape first, then will use a scratch if it needs more than what is left on that filling tape.

If you want to bring tape offsite, you need a minimum of two storage pools:
a primary pool that your backup goes to
a copy pool to send offsite

After your client backups and before your database backup, you do a backup stgpool from the primary to the copy pool, then do your database backup. Send your copy tapes and db backup tape offsite.

More info: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled...bm.itsm.srv.doc/t_stgpool_volumes_manage.html

Now, it sounds like you are very new to TSM, before you paint yourself into a corner, I strongly recommend that you take some training or at the very minimum read the manual

Back