what is HSM

BENSEN

Newcomer
Reaction score
i am so new to this forum and also to teh concept of HSM. my environmentt require lots of archiving and restoring , we deal with lots of clients that come after we have finished transcation with them , Wo archive a lot every weeka and also rstore a lots of data also, i was discusing with a vendor and he recommend using HSM, please explain the HSM concept to me,

At a very high level...HSM allows you to move older files off of more expensive media (ie, high-end disk) to less expensive media (ie, cheaper disk or tape), while leaving a 4k "stub-file" behind.

An end-user can get an "hsm'd" file back by clicking on the stub file which initiates a job that brings the file back in place of the stub file.

The end user -- other than the delay in bringing the file back -- will not notice a difference between opening a regular file vs. an "hsm'd" file.

At a very high level...HSM allows you to move older files off of more expensive media (ie, high-end disk) to less expensive media (ie, cheaper disk or tape), while leaving a 4k "stub-file" behind.

An end-user can get an "hsm'd" file back by clicking on the stub file which initiates a job that brings the file back in place of the stub file.

The end user -- other than the delay in bringing the file back -- will not notice a difference between opening a regular file vs. an "hsm'd" file.

We run TSM on a mainframe. Does that mean it would take the physical file off the server disk itself and move it to a tape managed by TSM ?

you have the 3 different option (leave a stub,make a copy, and physicaly migrate)on how you want the HSM managed your files. Read more thru the implementation guide and you will have an idea how does really HSM works.

you have the 3 different option (leave a stub,make a copy, and physicaly migrate)on how you want the HSM managed your files. Read more thru the implementation guide and you will have an idea how does really HSM works.

Is HSM an add on product you have to buy or is it part of TSM ?

Yes...it is part of TSM...though I am fairly certain it requires purchase of an additional license to be in compliance.

Just to be clear - HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management) is not called as such on all platforms in the TSM world. Windows and Mainframe calls it as such while UNIX calls it Space Management.

Hi All,

We plan to configure HSM on linux x86_64 server and file system type ext3...Is it possible to configure HSM for this file system or we must have GPFS file system for HSM. Please advise.

Thanks,
Frankantony

Back