What is Copy Pool?

avinim8

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone please explain how copy pool works?
Does it copies the entire parent pool each time it runs or only the new data written to tapes since the last copy operation?
anything special about copy pools i should know? configuration? something?

Thank you very much

Avi

Hi,
Does it copies the entire parent pool each time it runs or only the new data written to tapes since the last copy operation?

Thank you very much

Avi

I'm hardly a TSM expert but I believe it just takes any new content since the last run. If not you'd be pulling out huge numbers of tapes each time.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you very much

Avi

Copy pools are just what these are named as: copies of the online tape pools. Data that has been written incrementally on the online tape pool and the same files that are written or, a better word, copied into the copy pool which MUST be sent OFFSITE as a means of achiving your DR strategy.

Thank you all.
Does the copy pool has its own retention period or is it based on the primary pool being copied?
I assume it is a different period than the vaules in the primary pool since the primary pool contains a lot of data from severl becakup sets, each one has its own retention period.
Am I right?

Thank you all.
Does the copy pool has its own retention period or is it based on the primary pool being copied?
I assume it is a different period than the vaules in the primary pool since the primary pool contains a lot of data from severl becakup sets, each one has its own retention period.
Am I right?

I believe each client's data would be subject to whatever the retention period is for that client. We only use one policy for all of our servers ourselves (except for our mail server where all data is kept forever).

I believe each client's data would be subject to whatever the retention period is for that client. We only use one policy for all of our servers ourselves (except for our mail server where all data is kept forever).

Does the retention policy for the domain apply in this situation?
I have a copy pool designated for DRM and it occupies my secondary library entirely.
I would be interested in the answer to this as I have a PMR open currently to resolve an issue with my copy pool eating scratch tapes.

I have a copy pool designated for DRM and it occupies my secondary library entirely.
I would be interested in the answer to this as I have a PMR open currently to resolve an issue with my copy pool eating scratch tapes.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by retention policy for the domain. Our vendor set up our DRM and I haven't really touched anything with it since that time.

Do you run reclamation? By not running reclamation, copy pools will use a lot of scratch tapes.

Also why is it that you have this in a tape library? Copy pools should go to the Offsite location.

Copy pools follows the online tape policies.

Thank you all.
Am I right?

TSM includes a function to generate "backup sets". If these are what you are referring to above, backupsets are NOT backed up with copypools, as they are not part of the normal stgpool hierachy. It sounds like you are assuming you are getting copies of your backupsets, and this is NOT the case.

With normal backup data in a storagepool hierarchy, the primary copy and all copypool copies expire simultaneously.

If your copypool is eating scratch tapes, check what its collocation setting is.

So, what actually happens is:
Online tapes (not backupsets) for storage pool X are being copied to storage pool y tapes. Each file that resides on X also exists on Y. Each retention configured to every client also applies to the data stored on Y (on a file level).
Once expiration will run, it will expire both X and Y at the same time (for one client's data).

Did I get it?

Yes.

As long as you are using the "backup stgpool" command to actually backup X (primary pool) to Y (copypool). (This does not happen magically - one of your maintenance schedules has to run the backup stgpool commands.)

Retaining data on a primary storage pool and creating a copy pool with diff retention

Do any of you know anyway to backup data to a primary storage pool, retain incrementals for 30 days.. then do a daily copy of the same data to a physical tape via copy pool or some other mechanism and have it retained to never expire.. I was hoping of maybe something like setting up a primary pool and then a secondary pool that would work for this or something down that avenue. I looked at some of the storage pool settings around migration delay (MIGDelay) to store data for 30 days on an active pool then migrate in an in-active pool but that doesn’t address the need for daily tapes to be cut for off-site with the (Never Expire) retention policy....Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Back