What are you doing, IBM?

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So months ago DataDomain was installed to handle most of a customer's TSM data.

Some time has passed and now TSM renewal time comes and IBM doubles the price, so most of the company will now be moving to EMC backup solutions. This does not surprise me with IBM because we've all read about it happening. And the EMC Backup/Recovery sales force seems pretty relentless. But it continues to boggle my mind why IBM does this crap. Why lose that long-time, large business? Year after year, steady business via licensing. That's it. No extra work for IBM to make that money. Simply sell renewal again, every year. Double the price, now they get zero money. Very smooth. The customer is not small. Actually, its huge. We'll see what ultimately happens.

Last edited:
Greg,

EMC is telling people that IBM is abandoning TSM and with IBM's insane pricing....I use Data Domain solutions and to be honest with all the features EMC offers I wonder why more businesses have not dumped TSM and just gone to a straight Networker/Avamar solution.

They certainly have made it a challenge to support their software.
Simply because I support TSM does not mean I work for IBM!
Seems like all the Commvault,Avamar,NetBackup faithful take great pleasure in IBM's selective self destruction.
I often get questions about the ridiculous PVU pricing and have no defense.
Last week I had to turn in a 75K invoice for a handful of servers.

Back