VTL vs NFS - DD

tsmuser10

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
PREDATAR Control23

I'm looking for some PRO's/CONS's on switching from VTL to NFS with DD 4500. Are there any or should I stay on VTL ?

THX

PREDATAR Control23

We converted our environment from VTL to NFS with Data Domain about 3-4 years ago, and it has worked very well for us. All our TSM servers are Linux, and we have a 10Gbps network infrastructure. Prior to this change, it seemed the majority of problems we had in the TSM environment were related to virtual tape, much like physical tape problems. The only gotcha I would look out for is that you don't exceed the maximum ingest streams for that model of DDR. I think it is 180 on the 4500, but not positive.

The only place we still use VTL is for the iSeries (AS\400) because it doesn't support NFS.
-Rowl

PREDATAR Control23

HP has a product called the Recovery Manager Central that lets their 3PAR array, which has NFS, move snapchats to the StoreOnce VTL, which by the way, a user said was 60,000 euros less to implement—if you switch to NFS it would be nice to still incorporate your existing VTL solution. I work for a company called IT Central Station that does reviews of theses products by real users. Some mention that NFS is a great feature, but reviews of VTL remain consistently positive. It might help you to check them out and see why other buyers chose the product they did.

PREDATAR Control23

I use a mixture of VTL and NFS.

To be honest, unless the environment does not support NFS, you be better of with NFS. VTL is slower. The only reason I still use VTL is that one database does not support NFS on the data mover/proxy.

Last edited: