VTL solution??

Jeff, Do you use disk storage pools for your TSM backups, then migrate to the VTL v_tapes?

^ Yes. We have 12 TSM instances and each instance has a 500GB front end disk pool. We have max size set to 5GB so anything larger skips the diskpool and goes directly to VTL, SATA, or TAPE.

Thanks Jeff .... just what I needed. We are planning to implement a VTL solution and I wasn't sure which direction to go -- continue disk storage pools or to write directly to the VTL. I can see where we'd do both as well, at least initially during migration from physical tape to virtual.

I have used the Sepaton S2100-ES2 for 5 years. It has been very reliable and the backup/restore times in a "real-world" environment are superior to all others (FalconStor, IBM, EMC, etc.). Physical installation took about 2hours Configuring the virtual library, drives, and tapes took about 1 hour. Setup and configuration in TSM and labeling of the tapes took about 1 hour. So, within 4 hours, I was backing up my entire environment to the Sepaton VTL and have never turned back. Sepaton has a newer model with updated hardware and features. We plan to make a purchase of the new model in FY2011 and our current Sepaton VTL will replace the IBM 3584 Library with 8 LTO3 drives as our DR solution. By mid 2011, we plan to be completely tape free !

How does deltastore react to TSM reclaims. Being that Sepaton is content aware (reclaims are not backup sets and will likely not provide the relevant content to the scraper) are you experiencing a substaintial amount of data falling into the unsupported pool from the reclaim process? What are your reclaim thresholds set at?

Are you even leveraging data deduplication? if so what are your average dedupe rates?

Do you replicate the VTL to a co-location? if so whats the total processing time look like to ingest, dedupe and replicate your data?

How many SRE nodes are configured within your grid?

Being that Sepaton now makes use of HDS as back-end storage, will you be required to do a forklift upgrade of your existing system?

Last edited:
Back