VTL I/O error when cartridge gets full.

Hi ruccsito,

not so easy with an older kernel.
It´s a fresh SP3 Installation. I opened IBM HW call and a TSM pmr. HW support says TSM had a problem. SLES11 is fully supported and i hope a get a solution next days. The customer is not very lucky about this.

Hi thom7421
I've seen you had a problem with sles11sp3 and vtl. Did you get an answer of the IBM support about this? We upgraded today to sp3 and our backup to vtl brakes. So now we are desciding what to do now - downgrading or not.
Wohld you be so kind to let me know if you get an answer from thesupport? TSM Problem or Linux kernel problem???

Hi hbw,

i've two Problems with sles11 sp3 and the vtl. The one is described here. The IBM support gave me a special lintape version which solved the host_byte Problem. The other problem is that our TSM served crash if i reboot the vtl. For this problem there is no solution so i suggest to downgrade or to work with the support. I don't have the patience.

Hi Thom
Up to now ideas from IBM Support...
But we've got an information of our vtl vendor. They could rejust the problem and fixed it bei updating the firmware of the hba. It seems that lower versions of the Emulex ipcf driver do not give over the resid=0 what meens end of tape but resid=40000 what means i/o error. The firmwarelevel which fixed this feature might be 8.3.7.25 or higher. We installed 8.3.7.33 and now the tapes are written without error.
Our Linux admin will contact SUSE support in hope that they integrate this in the update procedure.
Don't know what kind of hba you're using, but perhapps you'll try this?
Greetings
HBW

Back