Volumes in Volume History of Lib Mgr and Lib Clnt

cicxav

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have identified few tapes which are listed in the library manager's volume history file as remote.
In the remote machine's (Library Client's) volume history file , these tapes are not listed.
I tried q vol volname , q drm volname and these volumes doesn't appear in the Lib Clnt.

Am I okay to delete these volumes from the Library manager's Volhist and checkin as scratch ?

Is there any additional steps to be checked .

Thanks in advance.

It looks like these are orphaned tapes that were never ejected or processed properly when emptied by the client.

If you are sure that no other clients (if you have more than one) use these tapes, you can safely assign these are scratch.

Thanks Moon Buddy.

If a volume doesn't return any o/p for , "q vol vol1" , "q drm vol1" , "select * from volhistory where volume_name='VOL1' , Can I go ahead and update this volume as scratch with respect to this TSM server ( Assuming I have only this TSM Libray client) ?

Why I ask is is there can be any other situation where volume can be used for archive or any other operation and volume wont be listed as o/p for any command given above and still a valid volume ?

If you don't see the volumes in any storage pool, then you can safely move these as scratch. I am also assuming you are not doing and backup sets so none of these volumes as associated with these.

Okay. No backup sets. We have to check if the tapes belong to TSM db backup s also ?

Back