• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

VMWARE vmdk over 8 terabytes. VMMaxVirtualDisks=999 does not help.

HI TSM'ers

Our (research) environment uses large disks for VMWARE: over 8 TB each (gnomes, mri's etc.).
When these were "independent disks" we would just back up via the client file system.
We convert the disks to VMWARE VMDK's (no problem since vmware 6.5. Maximum = 62 TB).
We also started backing up via TDP for VE (which is far superior tot the traditional incr backup).
However the VMDK's over 8 TB can not be backed up this way.

ANS2236I The virtual machine 'XXXXX' contains one or more disks that exceed the
maximum size set by the VMMAXVIRTUALDISKS option. These disks will be excluded
from the backup.

Is this a problem of VMWARE, TSM or both ? Any solution in sight ?
Thanks,

David de Leeuw
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
Beer Sheva
Israel

RecoveryOne

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
You mentioned that the disks are over 8tb each.
According to the latest 8.1.8 doc's here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.8/client/r_opt_vmmaxvirtualdisks.html
Code:
size
    Specifies the maximum size, in terabytes (TB), of the VM disks to include in a backup operation. The range is an integer 2 - 8; the default is 2. The maximum is 8 TB (equivalent to 8192 GB).
Further down the page:
Code:
Back up VM disks that are 8 TB or smaller and exclude VM disks that are larger than 8 TB:

backup vm VM1 -vmmaxvirtualdisks=8 -vmskipmaxvirtualdisks=yes
Copy

Or:

backup vm VM1 -vmmaxvirtualdisks=999 -vmskipmaxvirtualdisks=yes
Seems like a possible limitation with IBM, but I would not rule out the fact that VMWare's vadp may have such a limitation as well. My suggestion would get a PMR open and see if there's any work around and/or find out exactly where the limitation is.

RecoveryOne

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
I do not know if Spectrum Protect Plus is affected by any size limitations, I have yet to deploy that product in my environment.
(Couldn't edit my above post so new post)

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 51 63.0%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.6%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CamoVan